Preventative dentistry should be an integral part of your child’s medical care routine. But what does this term mean, exactly? In short, preventative dentistry is dental care that focuses on maintaining good oral health rather than correcting a specific problem. Regular preventative dental visits can lower the risk of issues like cavities and gum disease and help your child achieve their healthiest smile. Currently, the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends preventative visits every six months for children once they turn one or sprout their first tooth.
Examples of Preventative Pediatric Dentistry
During a preventative dentistry visit, a pediatric dentist may:
- Take digital X-ray images of the mouth and jaw
- Thoroughly clean teeth using an ultrasonic dental tool
- Apply fluoride varnish to strengthen enamel and help prevent cavities
- Place dental sealants on the chewing surfaces of molars to provide additional protection against cavities
- Provide a customized mouth guard to protect teeth while playing sports or to help prevent damage from jaw clenching at night
- Insert a space maintainer to hold open the empty space from a lost baby tooth
Preventative Dentistry Services for Kids in North Port, FL
A full spectrum of preventative dentistry services for babies, children, and teens is available at Cool Kid Dental in North Port, Florida. Conveniently located on Tamiami Trail, our practice is led by Dr. Frank Pettinato, a Board-Certified pediatric dentist who has helped create more than 70,000 healthy smiles since 2001.
Contact Cool Kid Dental today at (941) 841-1010 to schedule an appointment at our practice. Have questions? Our team is here to help!